[Factc] Guided Pathways Meta Majors

Bill Moore bmoore at sbctc.edu
Wed Jul 19 12:29:14 PDT 2017

Thanks for the Google doc, Anne--that's a helpful summary!

I think it makes a lot of sense to consider how we connect our meta-majors approaches to the Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) work on career clusters (https://www.acteonline.org/general.aspx?id=8644#.WW-eQPkrLb0)

 and what OSPI has been doing in Washington with that work (http://www.k12.wa.us/CareerTechEd/clusters/ ) and the related, and more detailed, programs of study (http://www.k12.wa.us/CareerTechEd/ProgramsofStudy.aspx)

(As a side note, it seems to me that in addition to the trademark business you mention, another challenge is that the terminology doesn't line up: the ACTE "16 career clusters" are essentially our "pathways" and their 79 "career pathways" are our specific programs of study within those pathways 😞)

That said, we're beginning to explore more broadly with OSPI ways in which we can connect our guided pathways efforts with what they're doing in high school, in part to consider how we help juniors and seniors get on some kind of pathway while in high school and smooth the transition into our colleges. Do you think there's any value in us having a specific discussion about the nomenclature and the alignment/clustering of the specific pathways, or is it a bit too late for that at this point...?

Bill

Bill Moore, Ph.D.
Director, K-12 Partnerships & Core to College Alignment
State Board for Community & Technical Colleges