[Factc] Guided Pathways Meta Majors

Anne Brackett abrackett at everettcc.edu
Wed Jul 19 10:19:36 PDT 2017

Hi LaVerta,

Here's a link to a google document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxUfNf6r7Q4AEUcVy_NyAFLxoGGVBlDoNHeTxUU6nQs/edit?usp=sharing>containing
info. from a few colleges.  EvCC is currently using Pathways to describe
our meta majors but would be very interested in trying to get consistent
language with other colleges so that students are familiar with the
language when they move between colleges.  Right now, there's a couple of
different options out there.

One thing that we recently discovered is that the K-12 system uses the
labels of Career Clusters and Pathways to denote meta majors and program
maps respectively.  We were really excited about the possibility of using
consistent language with the K-12 system to avoid creating additional
barriers for students...but...it turns out that the term "Career Clusters"
is a registered trademark for the 16 Career clusters.  Since our pathway
groupings did not match these, and because the term is trademarked, we had
to abandon that option.

Hope this helps,
Anne

--