[DEOC] (no subject)

Sophia Agtarap sagtarap at sbctc.edu
Tue Dec 5 14:36:58 PST 2023

DEOC—

This proposal has been in development since before I started my role (Dr. Claudine Richardson and Vik Bahl had originally created a proposal if I am correct), but having had some extra funds this spring, I supported Vik Bahl in exploring what this could look like as he gathered models from around the country and what could work in our context here in the WA CTCs given commitments to DEI, antiracism, and ethnic studies and American Indian Studies.

After our retreat I had asked for some dates for Vik to present to the DEOC, and since I've had to leave to be with my grandmother in Manila, Vanessa has volunteered to do that coordination.

Having learned that my budget is a third that it was last biennium, I have made it clear that this isn't an effort that we can fully fund at the state board without support from organizations like the Gates Foundation or the legislature.

That being said, I appreciate the postdoc-like nature of the proposal to give folks an opportunity to "try on" a faculty and admin-ish role while explicitly embedding mentoring and equity and antiracism PD in the program.

The attached proposal that Vik drafted has already shifted since the it originally reflected the state board supporting the effort in some financial way.

I will admit that I was under the impression that teams were forming exploratory groups at their colleges and that you all were a part of that, and I am learning that hasn't in fact been the case.

Hope that's helpful context.

sophia

Sophia Kristina R. Agtarap (she/siya)

Director, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

Book time to meet with me<https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/428a9a0a3cb14afe82036360d2d894a8@sbctc.edu?anonymous&ep=signature>

<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>