[CATO] [EXTERNAL] - VPAT expertise, please?

Hayman, Douglass dhayman at olympic.edu
Mon Dec 18 14:17:57 PST 2023

Jeannie,

The VPAT linked with:
https://thirdiron-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/webassets/vpat/Third_Iron_VPAT2-4_June-2023.pdf

Has a number of concerns.  I'd rather see partially supports with some honest shortcoming listed in the  remarks and explanations rather than many rows showing supports with nothing in that last column.

The evaluation method mentioned at the top of the VPAT is also shady and incomplete:

"Evaluation Methods Used: We employed both visual end product checks, code reviews and accessibility compliance tools use as the browser extension Siteimprove to better understand the gaps in our accessibility compliance."

This is where it should say that they tested with JAWS, Voiceover, NVDA or other screen readers.  That they did manual keyboard only testing and so on.  Better yet would be mention of a third-party firm with expertise in accessibility.

My takeaway is that if you proceed with the purchase, you'll be the accessibility tester.  And, you won't have someone internal to that company that truly knows accessibility enough to remedy the issues.  That or they'll give a non-binding promise to resolve those with the next release.

It might be worth reaching out to other institutions that have robust, well-funded accessibility positions and ask them.  I see that Harvard has this link:
https://library.harvard.edu/services-tools/browzine

Harvard hosts a well-respected monthly accessibility meeting over Zoom.  They have also done a lot with the HECVAT for accessibility and know what it takes to do thoughtful procurement.

Ditto with Berkeley
https://guides.lib.berkeley.edu/BrowZine

Perhaps the company has checked a box with having a VPAT available, and that it is just a poorly made VPAT.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College