[Campus-Research] AP survey request - what's your take?

Erik Gimness EGimness at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:32:29 PST 2022

Greetings campus researchers,

I just got a request via one of our faculty on behalf of a high school AP student asking to administer a survey to our students. I'm attaching screenshots of the survey in a .docx format.

Here's my for and against thinking so far.

For: have to be 18 to participate, it's anonymous*, doesn't seem like high risk data:

Against: asks about a diagnosis, has 3 open ended questions where respondents could unintentionally self-identify, either directly or indirectly, so perhaps not fully anonymous*, some of the questions could be triggering, all the items but the last one are required, there's no informed consent language that covers the fact that it's voluntary and you can stop at any time.  There's also no language that alerts the respondent ahead of time about the types of situation they may be asked to "imagine" themselves in.

I'm leaning towards an "against," but I'm wondering if I'm being too cautious.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Erik Gimness

Director of Institutional Research, Analytics, and Effectiveness

Pierce College

p:

(253) 964-6529

a:

9401 Farwest Dr SW, Lakewood, WA 98498

w:     www.pierce.ctc.edu<http://www.pierce.ctc.edu>
e:     egimness at pierce.ctc.edu<mailto:egimness at pierce.ctc.edu>

[pierce college logo]

[aspen prize for community college top 10 logo and achieving the dream leader college of distinction logo]