[BLC] BS/CS Curriculum Development Retreat

Valerie Sundby vsundby at sbctc.edu
Wed Oct 11 08:54:39 PDT 2023

Hello, ATC, BLC, and WEC,

The invitation below has been shared with Instruction Commission but I want to make sure that it is on your radar as well.

We are hoping to have great, cross-state representation of faculty and others involved in the computer science work at this event.  The event will begin with dinner Wednesday, with the bulk of the content on Thursday and Friday (11/16-17).

We have space available so colleges are welcome to send more than one person, including staff or administrators who have been involved and are interested in contributing to the curriculum work. Please register<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DW7VC9G> by next Monday, 10/16.

Thanks!
Val

As a next step in our statewide work on the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, we would like to invite your college to participate in a curriculum development retreat November 15-17 at Alderbrook Lodge. This retreat will be focused on taking the information gathered at the two faculty and industry events last year to develop a draft core curriculum for the BS in Computer Science that would be made available to any college that wishes to adopt all or part of it as they move forward with their own program development.

Because this event is narrowly focused on curriculum development, we are asking that the primary attendees be faculty and have space for one faculty member from each college. Please respond to this survey<https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DW7VC9G> to register the faculty member that you would like to attend by Friday, October 6. After October 6, we will open registration on a space available basis to additional faculty members or administrators who have been closely connected to this work who are interested in attending.

The goals of this facilitated curriculum retreat will be:

  1.  Use existing work and guide faculty to develop Program Learning Outcomes for the bachelor’s in computer science degree.
  2.  Map courses and KSAs to develop a program map.
  3.  Using the developed program course map, guide faculty to develop draft course outlines that include titles, descriptions, student learning outcomes, and topics for each of the courses in the map.

All direct costs (lodging and food during the retreat) will be covered directly by the SBCTC via generous support from Amazon. Additional travel costs (mileage, airfare, etc.) would be paid directly by the colleges as allowable expenses under your Amazon grants. If funding the additional travel is makes attending this event cost-prohibitive for your college, please reach out to me directly.

Thank you in advance for your support of this work and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Val

[cid:image004.png at 01D9E583.7BF43A20]Valerie Sundby, Ed.D.
Director of Transfer Education
vsundby at sbctc.edu<mailto:vsundby at sbctc.edu> • o: 360-704-4338 • c: 360-972-0872
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> • Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> • Facebook: @WASBCTC<https://www.facebook.com/wasbctc/>