[Wsssc] Update on Supporting Students Experiencing Homelessness Pilot

Lauren Hibbs lhibbs at sbctc.edu
Fri Dec 30 11:14:01 PST 2022

Colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well as we prepare for the New Year.

I write to share the attached SBCTC and WSAC joint update on the Supporting Students Experiencing Homelessness (SSEH), a pilot in its third year. Many of our colleges have participated and made a positive impact on social, racial, and economic justice through these collaborative efforts.

Of the 2,658 students receiving SSEH benefits 91% of baccalaureate and 85% of CTC students persisted and completed the quarter they were served. Other highlights include:
Third Year of the SSEH pilot: FY 2022 Student highlights
● 45% of all served were students of color, matching or exceeding each institution’s proportions of students of
color. This reflects national and state data that show Hispanic/Latinx, Black/African American, and Native
American/Alaska Native students are disproportionately experiencing homelessness and housing security.
● Food insecurity was common, with 82% of served students reporting marginal, low, or very low food security.
Only 39% of students served were known to be recipients of WA Basic Food or SNAP.
● Nearly two thirds of students identified as female.
● Community college students served tended to be older, with 63% over 24 years of age, while the majority of
university students served were under 24 years of age (68%).

Please feel free to share the attached amongst your teams.

Sincerely,

[Compass]
Lauren Hibbs, Ed.D
lhibbs at sbctc.edu* o: 360-704-4334 *

“Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice in service to our diverse communities.”