[Wsssc] Tutoring: Assessment Tools or Guidance

Mohr, James James.Mohr at ccs.spokane.edu
Wed Aug 31 10:07:16 PDT 2022

Hi Leslie

There are a few good resources I would like to suggest though I do not have a lot that is specific to tutoring.

The Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education<https://www.cas.edu/> (CAS) provides standards for all different types of offices within Student Affairs.  They have their standards book that can be purchased. There is also a brief description of CAS standards for learning assistance programs<https://nadeaccreditation.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/cas-standards-and-guidelines-for-learning-assistance-programs-2018.pdf> that you can access.  I have attached an article on Assessment of Tutoring that used the CAS standards.  It is from 2009 but may still be useful. I am not sure I would use the SWOT analysis as they do in the article but it is definitely one way to look at it.  I have slowly moved to a more appreciative approach to doing assessment.  SOAR is an alternative to SWOT which stands for Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations, and Results. Here is a worksheet<https://work.cibhs.org/sites/main/files/file-attachments/soar_handout.pdf?1517504058> you can look at to get an idea of how it works.

There is the Student Affairs Assessment Leaders<http://studentaffairsassessment.org/> organization that has a variety of resources that can be accessed.

ACPA sponsors an annual Student Affairs Assessment Institute<https://myacpa.org/event/saai-2023/>. At a previous position, I took a team of 7 people to go through it as we were developing an assessment plan.  It helped us to focus on common language and develop our own plan. It is beneficial to send a team but the team could be smaller than 7. I  was lucky to have the budget to send that many people to the Institute.

I would also recommend the following books:
Student Affairs Assessment: Theory to Practice by Gavin W. Henning and Darby Roberts, 2016
Assessment in Student Affairs, 2nd Edition, by Schuh, Biddix, Dean, Kinzie, 2016

I am not sure if you are interested but I also have articles on developing a culture of assessment in Student Affairs and challenges to assessment in Student Affairs.  I do not want to send too much but if interested I can send those articles to you.

Jim

Jim Mohr, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Community Colleges of Spokane
Vice Provost of Strategic Partnerships