[Wsssc] Fw: SOCC Registration Extended! Closes Friday, April 9

Harden, Yoshiko Yoshiko.Harden at Seattlecolleges.edu
Tue Mar 23 14:35:29 PDT 2021

Hi Colleagues,

I serve as the liaison to MSSDC. Please share with folks at your college.

Thanks,
Yoshiko Harden, Ed.D.
Vice President of Student Services
Seattle Central College

________________________________
From: MSSDC <mssdc-bounces at lists.ctc.edu> on behalf of Martinez, Doris <dmartinez at highline.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 2:32 PM
To: Multicultural Student Services Directors' Council <mssdc at lists.ctc.edu>
Subject: [Mssdc] SOCC Registration Extended! Closes Friday, April 9

[cid:7B6B96D5059CDC4EBB9C167832D1DDDB at namprd07.prod.outlook.com]

Established in 1990 by the Multicultural Student Services Directors’ Council (MSSDC), The Students of Color Conference supports students of Washington State community and technical colleges to become more active proponents of their own education, life choices, and to expand the opportunities and possibilities for students to become agents of change.

Dear MSSDC/SOCC Main Advisors,

I hope this email finds you well this lovely Tuesday! On behalf of the 2021 SOCC Planning Committee- THANK YOU!

Organizing this virtual experience has been a labor of love and pure dedication, and we are thrilled to open our virtual doors on Thursday, April 15th. With finals week and spring break currently in full effect at our campuses across the state, we wanted to extend the deadline to give students and advisors additional time to register. Registration will officially close Friday, April 9 @ 12pm.

Please see below for student & advisor registration process.

Student Registration Process & Follow-up Recommendations

In efforts to simplify the registration process for the virtual Students of Color Conference, we have outlined registration in 3 easy steps and a few recommendations. Unlike previous years, students will register themselves for SOCC 2021. However, we recommend each school creates a recruiting process to engage and connect with their students pre and post conference.

Step 1: Recruit Students

Do what makes sense for your college. Some examples include:

·       Send an email to your student leaders/ DEI student workers, etc.

·       Email staff and faculty to ask for recommendations

·       Host virtual informational sessions where you share more information about SOCC 2021

Step 2: Students Complete Registration Form

Once you have recruited students for SOCC 2021, have students complete the SOCC Registration Form by Friday, April 9th @ 12pm at http://bit.ly/SOCC31Registration<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FSOCC31Registration&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cdde511b4bc9f431e968d08d8ee4329e4%7C02d8ff38d7114e31a9156cb5cff788df%7C0%7C1%7C637521319551320219%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=bgvxeSlD2xar%2BE1XGshBGL1ErTN8CauHFp2ujWuoOp0%3D&reserved=0>

You can have an internal deadline prior to the SOCC registration deadline. Provide the registration link to students that will make the most of this opportunity (NOT in an email to all students).  Students will be challenged on various aspects of identity and understanding of social justice. We want to ensure students use SOCC as a platform to explore their journey as change agents through intentional learning and engagement.

Step 3: Provide registered students the SOCC Agenda and Zoom links

Official program and Zoom links will be provided to MSSDC representatives/ SOCC advisors the week of March 21, 2021.

Step 4: Attend SOCC events and make sure that students can access the events via Zoom successfully.

Advisor Registration Process:

Up to 2 advisors per institution may attend SOCC 2021. Please complete the SOCC Advisor Registration Form<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FKbrsoRPxwk6kAZpF7&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cdde511b4bc9f431e968d08d8ee4329e4%7C02d8ff38d7114e31a9156cb5cff788df%7C0%7C1%7C637521319551330208%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=d1bK%2FJ6MmxyRoiDV8HiM%2Fkvx64Gm2uVAjob2bhlY9%2Fw%3D&reserved=0> by Friday, April 9th. We ask that ONE advisor serve as the primary contact. They will receive correspondences from the SOCC Planning Committee prior to the conference.

We ask that ONE advisor serve as the primary contact. They will receive correspondences from the SOCC Planning Committee prior to the conference.

Follow Up Recommendations:

Host a Pre-Conference Zoom Meeting to go over expectations and events/ workshops prior to the conference. This is a great opportunity for students to meet peers from their college who will also be attending the conference.

Host a Post-Conference Debrief to connect with your students and discuss take aways from the conference and how they can implement what they have learned into their college experience and lives moving forward.

If you have any questions please contact your 2021 SOCC Co-Chairs Nadine Stecklein<about:blank> or Doris Martinez<about:blank>

Attachments included:

·        SOCC 2021 Program Schedule

·        Abbreviated Registration Steps

·        SOCC Student Registration Form Questions

CAUTION: This email originated outside of the Seattle Colleges’ email system. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. Questions? Contact IT Services at x6333 (Central), x3630 (North), x5844 (South) or email ITHelp at seattlecolleges.edu.