[Wsssc] Senate Bill 5194: Residency Law Guidance

Reader, Aaron areader at highline.edu
Wed Jul 14 11:41:31 PDT 2021

Hello Colleagues,
I hope you're all enjoying a wonderful summer.
I wanted to reach out to get some advice on how you're dealing with the new Senate Bill 5194 residency changes. International students (F,J, or M student visas) may now be eligible for resident tuition and state aid as a result of the new residence adjustments, according to my understanding. Other non-immigrant visa students (E,H, and L visas) are now eligible for resident tuition, but this modification in the law would allow them to obtain state aid.  That stated, how has this affected those of you who provide service to international student populations at your institutions?  Are there budget implications to consider?

In addition, according to page 5 of the official guidance memorandum, there is also a requirement to notify all students who may be eligible.  How has your college tried to communicate about this change?  How far back did you go? Were there any challenges or lessons to be learned?

Your input and expertise are greatly valued.

Thank you,
Aaron

Aaron Reader, MA
Vice President, Student Services