[Wsssc] FW: Nelson v. Spokane Community College

Robert Cox robert.cox at centralia.edu
Thu Sep 24 08:34:54 PDT 2020

fyi

Robert Cox
Vice President of Student Services
Centralia College
600 Centralia College Blvd
Centralia, WA 98531
360-623-8385

-----Original Message-----
From: Stolier, David A (ATG) <David.Stolier at atg.wa.gov>
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2020 4:54 PM
To: Julie Huss <julie.huss at centralia.edu>; Robert Cox <robert.cox at centralia.edu>
Subject: FW: Nelson v. Spokane Community College

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of Centralia College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Please take a quick look at the attached case which came out last week.  We were unsuccessful in defending this challenge to Spokane Colleges action in dismissing a student from a nursing program for alleged plagiarism.  This come down to whether academic dishonesty is an academic or disciplinary matter.  While we do not necessarily agree with the majority decision  (the dissent got it exactly right), we do now have a published decision that says you can achieve the outcome we want if you have the right WAC in place.  So, in addition to the other edits I am making for purposes of our meeting tomorrow, I will be drafting a couple of options to stick into the your new conduct code.