[Wsssc] FW: Coronavirus prep

Hayden, Ruby Ruby.Hayden at lwtech.edu
Mon Mar 16 07:03:57 PDT 2020

Hi Folks,

We were the first to close so here is what we have been doing for 2 weeks now:

General Changes:
* Zoom software is saving our lives right now; all folks in student services have accounts to host meetings.
* All my folks have laptops and webcams to do their work from home (making sure everyone had the tech they needed was the biggest lift -- I bought some stuff on amazon and just shipped it to their homes a few times); IT provided their office phones on their laptops so they can make and receive calls just like they were in the physical office * We "hacked" our Maxient conduct software to provide a way for students to securely upload documents to us for places like financial aid and enrollment services.
* I am meeting with my student services leadership team daily by zoom and weekly by zoom with my whole division to share information and let them ask questions (we use a polling software so they can ask anonymous questions to make sure folks feel comfortable asking anything they want).
* We've issued blanket "waivers" to most deadlines and are being flexible and generous with withdrawals/refunds/ etc.
* If folks run out of assigned work activities, we created a college wide professional development list of documentaries, books, ted talks, journal articles, online trainings, etc that are preapproved as meaningful work opportunities. Between this and donations of shared leave, I do not have any staff who will be in a leave without pay situation.

Financial Aid & Veteran Services:
* Students may submit requested documents via secure upload on our financial aid website (Maxient) or by dropping them off in person at the library drop-box (an exterior drop-box).
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.
* Vet orientations now offered by Zoom
* No more than 3 staff work physically in the office during regular business hours M-Th to keep processes moving forward; other staff work from home with regular intermittent access to the office as needed.

Enrollment Services:
* 2-3 staff are on site keeping paper processes moving and keeping switchboard phone lines open 730-4pm M-F; other staff work from home with regular intermittent access to the office as needed.
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.
* If students need to submit documentation for things like residency, staff can send them a Maxient link to securely upload documents online.

Assessment (placement testing):
* Lead staff are offering placement testing via Zoom (it is only one at a time which is slow); limited on campus testing being offered as well using social distancing practices to limit risk of spreading COVID-19 (we verbally screen students for illness, offer them hand sanitizer, take pictures of the forms they fill out and the student keeps the original form/pen, and wipe down computers and surfaces after they leave) * Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.

Advising/Counseling/Disability Support Services:
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.
* We already had AIM software in place for secure document uploading for DSS and sending out accommodation letters

Outreach & Recruiting:
* Staff are working on maintaining relationships with off campus partners virtually and created plans for creative recruiting during the closure and once we return to campus.
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.

TRIO:
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.
* Tutoring is available via Zoom and will be extended through the end of classes as needed.

WorkForce Development:
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.
* If students need to submit documentation for these program, they can send them a link to securely upload documents online.
* Maintaining CBO partnerships via email/phone * Prospective students will be directed to WFD information sessions via phone (in lieu of our weekly orientation) * Further outreach via email and phone will be done to prospective students already entered into Radius

Employment Resources Center:
* Staff are working via phone, email, and zoom to do resume reviews, job search assistance, etc * Zoom presentations for classes available * Creating online presentations for students to access at any time * Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.

Student Programs:
* Staff are open/available to students and faculty via phone, email, and zoom.
* Project planning is happening over Zoom as needed.
* Student Government is meeting weekly via zoom * Admin staff will be in the office M-Th until about 1pm. Students work with staff directly related to calculator rentals and returns

Childcare Center:
* Staff stay in touch with their families on a daily basis via already existing HiMama App (recommending activities to do from home, checking in on children, etc) * Story and circle time offered to families via zoom * All payments for the month of March were refunded to parents; will likely do same for April