[Wsssc] Financial Aid Train the Trainer Registration Link

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Tue Jan 7 16:56:53 PST 2020

WSSSC Colleagues:

This email is a follow-up to the letter that SBCTC Executive Director Jan Yoshiwara sent on December 19, announcing a financial aid application initiative we are launching in partnership with the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) and the public and independent 4-year institutions. (It is attached to this email for easy reference.)

We ask that you identify up to 10 members of your staff who you think would be good candidates for this training opportunity, and either send them the link to the registration form (below) or sign them up centrally from your office.
Several of you asked good questions about this initiative, so we thought it would be helpful to supply answers in a Q&A format.

When are the financial aid training sessions and how do we sign up?

The free training opportunities, each from 8 a.m. to noon, are as follows:

* Tuesday, Jan. 28 at Skagit Valley College
* Tuesday, Jan. 28 at Gonzaga University
* Wednesday, Jan. 29 at Everett Community College
* Wednesday, Jan. 29 at Columbia Basin College
* Thursday, Jan. 30 at South Seattle College's Georgetown Campus
* Thursday, Jan. 30 at Washington State University, Vancouver
* Friday, Jan. 31 at Clover Park Technical Colleges

Although in-person participation is strongly encouraged, we realize that travel may present an obstacle, so we have added a webinar version on February 4 at the registration link.

We ask that staff register by Friday, January 17 at this link: Train the Trainer Registration<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfW9jSIKa6AXUv3f4rG-pYTl_R57TUM66sKEytb85lzo6Jqsg/viewform?usp=sf_link>.

Who should attend?

This training program is for college staff who are willing to learn more about the financial aid application process and the Washington College Grant and then pass that knowledge to community representatives. Those community representatives will, in turn, hold events and help their own stakeholders complete the forms.

The training is recommended for staff members who are involved in advising, mentoring or outreach, and those who serve as financial aid officers - people who are willing to learn and teach others how to help families fill out a financial aid application.

What will be discussed at the training sessions?

Representatives from the Washington Student Achievement Council will:

  *   Discuss different types of financial aid and the new Washington College Grant.
  *   Walk through the FAFSA and WAFSA forms and address common questions and "sticking points."
  *   Provide resources and materials.
  *   Help participants plan their next steps.

What is the goal of this initiative?

Last session, Gov. Jay Inslee signed a major education bill <https://medium.com/wagovernor/inslee-signs-package-of-education-bills-ushers-in-one-of-the-most-progressive-education-87f2a490d755> that established one of the most progressive higher education investments in the country. The new Washington College Grant replaced the State Need Grant. It will give more money to more students for more kinds of education after high school.

Starting in fall 2020, students could be eligible for a grant if they sit at or below the state's median family income. For example, families of four at $53,000 or less would be eligible for the full award. Families of four with incomes up to $97,000 a year - or a single person up to $50,500 - could get a partial grant.

As you well know, filling out a financial aid application unlocks the gate to many financial aid sources to pay for college and, in doing so, increases students' chance at success and our state's college-going rate.

The goal of this effort is to get more people - students and working adults alike - to fill out an application for financial aid and reap the benefits of Washington's generous new financial aid program. We want to extend beyond high school students to capture working adults whose lives can change so dramatically by earning a certificate or degree.

The financial aid application training sessions scheduled this month are just the first step in a larger initiative:

Step 1: College representatives attend financial aid training sessions in January (see schedule above).
Step 2:  In the coming months, the college representatives who attended the January trainings will connect with local community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, employers and others. The college representatives will teach people within those organizations how to put on events and help their constituencies complete the financial aid application forms.
Step 3:  The local organizations will then schedule their own events and support those who attend.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or your workgroup representatives Chio Flores and Christina Castorena.

                             [Joe]