[Wsssc] Rethinking Mathematics Placement

Kristi Wellington Baker kwellingtonbaker at sbctc.edu
Tue Aug 18 11:36:11 PDT 2020

All,
The first in this series is just one week away.... please join us for a 4-part placement series focused on rethinking Math Placement facilitated by Dr Laura Schueller, and feel free to share with friends- as always.
kwb

Rethinking Mathematics[1] Placement:

A Four -Part Series

Tuesdays 4-5pm
https://zoom.us/j/96323480189

Appropriate Audience:  Faculty and Staff from Washington Community and Technical Colleges who are interested in mathematics placement or who:

·       Participate in developing mathematics placement policies.

·       Work directly with students as they engage in the mathematics placement process.

·       Participate in the collection and sharing of data related to mathematics placement.

Multiple Measures - (August 25, 4-5pm, https://zoom.us/j/96323480189)
Transcripts and high school GPA's, standardized and homegrown exams, and surveys of student confidence are all being used across the state to place students into mathematics courses.   This webinar provides an overview of the many ways that colleges within the state are currently placing students in mathematics and asks participants to consider their own policies with special emphasis on the philosophy of placement, how choosing a pathway influences placement, equity implications, special populations, transitions from Basic Education, and statewide agreements.

Using High School Transcripts - (September 1, 4-5pm, https://zoom.us/j/96323480189)
Although over half of the colleges in our system are using high school transcripts to place students in mathematics, there is no standard way that information from high schools is being used.  This webinar provides some examples of collection methods that colleges are using as well as some diverse examples of how student high school records are being interpreted for placements.

Directed Self Placement - (September 8, 4-5pm, https://zoom.us/j/96323480189)
Many of our colleges recognize student confidence as a significant indicator of future student success, some of our colleges have found ways to include student voice into their placement process.  This webinar provides some examples of mathematics directed self-placement that are currently being implemented within our system.

Data Collection - (September 15, 4-5pm, https://zoom.us/j/96323480189)
This webinar will focus on both what data is useful to collect to begin to understand the successes and weaknesses in mathematics placement processes with an emphasis as well as ideas about how to share and use the data to inform improvements.  Some examples will be shared and participants will be asked to examine their own data practices and ideas about identifying placement efficacy.

"Americans have long been trained to see the deficiencies of people rather than policy. It's a pretty easy mistake to make: People are in our faces. Policies are distant. We are particularly poor at seeing the policies lurking behind the struggles of people."
― Ibram X. Kendi, How to Be an Antiracist<https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/62549152>

Kristi Wellington-Baker | Student Success Center Director
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
1300 Quince St SE | PO Box 42495
Olympia, WA 98504-2495
p: 360.704.1022 | c: 509.301.8466 | kwellingtonbaker at sbctc.edu<mailto:kwellingtonbaker at sbctc.edu>
sbctc.edu<https://www.sbctc.edu/> * Twitter: @SBCTCWashington<https://twitter.com/SBCTCWashington> * Facebook: @WASBCTC

Click here to learn why I put my pronouns in my email signature and you might consider doing so<https://www.cultureamp.com/blog/sharing-gender-pronouns-at-work/>.

Link to: COVID-19 REMOTE LEARNING RESOURCES<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/student-success-center/remote-learning-resources.aspx>
                                                        SBCTC Vision
"Leading with racial equity, our colleges maximize student potential and transform lives
within a culture of belonging that advances racial, social, and economic justice
in service to our diverse communities."