[Wsssc] Request from Lieutenant Governors Office

Belden, William WBelden at clark.edu
Wed Oct 2 14:18:55 PDT 2019

Colleagues,

Mary Chikwinya, former Vice President of Student Services at Tacoma Community College, is now the Director of Higher Education<http://www.ifiberonenewsradio.com/news/local_news/lieutenant-governor-names-new-director-of-higher-education/article_577fc232-d93d-11e9-acfc-7b5eda49c15c.html> for Lieutenant Governor Cyrus Habib. Mary and I spoke about her new role and her interest in hearing from WSSSC on key policy issues being discussed/considered for the next legislative session. She would like our input to help inform potential priorities for the Lt. Governor. I have taken these question from Mary’s message below and have asked the Executive Committee to help find time to discuss this request at our fall meeting.

1.       What are the possible unintended consequences if there is legislation that prevents colleges from holding transcripts based on a parking and library fine?
2.       FAFSA completion as a HS graduation requirement.  Of course there would be ways for students/families to opt out but it would be an opt out, not opt in approach.
3.       Reverse transfer, how is the current process working?  Are colleges seeing lots of students utilizing this option?  Thoughts about ways to automate this process so students opt out not in.  Is anyone using clearinghouse to support reverse transfer?
4.       Are colleges noting OER courses in schedule to allow students the low cost option?
5.       Are there other things folks think this office can help with that support removing obstacles to degree completion?

The Lt. Governor is especially interested in increasing degree completion among  working adults and how prior learning can help reduce time and cost to degree.   One question I have heard him ask is what is it that ASU and WGU do that draws so many students from our state colleges and universities.

I am sending this message to give you time to reflect on these questions and consult with your teams prior to our meeting next week.

Thank you,

Bill

William Belden
Vice President of Student Affairs