[Wsssc] Update on SB 6514 and Suicide Prevention Grants

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Thu Jun 14 08:40:26 PDT 2018

Colleagues: Scott Latiolais and I are serving on the legislatively created workgroup charged with guiding the implementation of Senate Bill 6514, the so-called "Higher Education Behavioral Health and Suicide" Bill passed in this year's Legislative Session. The law has three components: development of a statewide, web-based resource on higher education behavioral health and suicide prevention; administering a suicide prevention in higher education grant program; and establishing baseline higher education data on these topics.

The workgroup held its first meeting yesterday. Here are some highlights of the grant program. Note that some of the key dates are not far off.

It looks like there will be approximately $420,000 available in grant funds, administered by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). There will be approximately 10 one-time grants. The first six grants must be awarded to public higher education institutions (our colleges plus the six public 4-year institutions). There will be a competitive RFP process. Pre-grant information will be available later this summer, with a target RFP release date of September 4 and a due-date of October 16. Grants will commence in January of 2019.. I've attached SB 6514 here. See Section 3 for more detail on the grants.

Please let us know if you have any questions at this point. We will keep you posted.

                             [Joe]