[Wsssc] FW: Muray, senators pledge Democrats will battle DeVos' Title IX proposal

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Mon Dec 3 08:34:40 PST 2018

Colleagues: see below, FYI

                             [Joe]

From: Jan Yoshiwara
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 1:28 PM
To: Joe Holliday <jholliday at sbctc.edu>; Carli Schiffner <cschiffner at sbctc.edu>; Ed McCallister <emccallister at sbctc.edu>
Subject: FW: Muray, senators pledge Democrats will battle DeVos' Title IX proposal

fyi

Jan Yoshiwara

Executive Director

From: Katims, Casey (GOV) <casey.katims at gov.wa.gov<mailto:casey.katims at gov.wa.gov>>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:03 PM
To: Kelly, Kate (ATG) <KateK at ATG.WA.GOV<mailto:KateK at ATG.WA.GOV>>; Aultman, John (GOV) <john.aultman at gov.wa.gov<mailto:john.aultman at gov.wa.gov>>; Came, Deb (OSPI) <deb.came at k12.wa.us<mailto:deb.came at k12.wa.us>>; Reykdal, Chris <chris.reykdal at k12.wa.us<mailto:chris.reykdal at k12.wa.us>>; Cindy.Rockholt at k12.wa.us<mailto:Cindy.Rockholt at k12.wa.us>; Mastin, Dave <Dave.Mastin at k12.wa.us<mailto:Dave.Mastin at k12.wa.us>>; Davis, RaShelle (GOV) <rashelle.davis at gov.wa.gov<mailto:rashelle.davis at gov.wa.gov>>; Dawn-Fisher, Lisa (OSPI) <lisa.dawn-fisher at k12.wa.us<mailto:lisa.dawn-fisher at k12.wa.us>>; Dierk Meierbachtol <Dierk.Meierbachtol at k12.wa.us<mailto:Dierk.Meierbachtol at k12.wa.us>>; Pauley, Gayle (OSPI) <gayle.pauley at k12.wa.us<mailto:gayle.pauley at k12.wa.us>>; Glenna.Gallo at k12.wa.us<mailto:Glenna.Gallo at k12.wa.us>; Hollimon, Cynthia (OFM) <cynthia.hollimon at ofm.wa.gov<mailto:cynthia.hollimon at ofm.wa.gov>>; Jenny Plaja <Jenny.Plaja at k12.wa.us<mailto:Jenny.Plaja at k12.wa.us>>; Katherine.Mahoney at k12.wa.us<mailto:Katherine.Mahoney at k12.wa.us>; Katy Payne <Katy.Payne at k12.wa.us<mailto:Katy.Payne at k12.wa.us>>; Miller, Michaela <michaela.miller at k12.wa.us<mailto:michaela.miller at k12.wa.us>>; Mueller, Martin (K12) <martin.mueller at k12.wa.us<mailto:martin.mueller at k12.wa.us>>; Stella Lugalia <Stella.Lugalia at k12.wa.us<mailto:Stella.Lugalia at k12.wa.us>>; Taylor, Kathe <Kathe.Taylor at k12.wa.us<mailto:Kathe.Taylor at k12.wa.us>>; Tennille.Jeffries-Simmons at k12.wa.us<mailto:Tennille.Jeffries-Simmons at k12.wa.us>; Thomas, Jamila (OSPI) <jamila.thomas at k12.wa.us<mailto:jamila.thomas at k12.wa.us>>; Thompson, Maddy (GOV) <maddy.thompson at gov.wa.gov<mailto:maddy.thompson at gov.wa.gov>>; Kenna-Schenk, Becca <becca.kenna-schenk at wwu.edu<mailto:becca.kenna-schenk at wwu.edu>>; Bennett, Don (WSAC) <DonB at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:DonB at wsac.wa.gov>>; Boggs, Breann (OFM) <breann.boggs at ofm.wa.gov<mailto:breann.boggs at ofm.wa.gov>>; Glynda Becker (WSU) <glynda.becker at wsu.edu<mailto:glynda.becker at wsu.edu>>; Arlen Harris <aharris at sbctc.edu<mailto:aharris at sbctc.edu>>; Jon Kerr <jkerr at sbctc.edu<mailto:jkerr at sbctc.edu>>; Meotti, Michael (WSAC) <MichaelM at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:MichaelM at wsac.wa.gov>>; Papadakis, Eleni (WTB) <eleni.papadakis at wtb.wa.gov<mailto:eleni.papadakis at wtb.wa.gov>>; Francis, Paul <pfrancis at cop.wsu.edu<mailto:pfrancis at cop.wsu.edu>>; Sarah Castro (UW) <smcastro at uw.edu<mailto:smcastro at uw.edu>>; Sharpe, Rachelle (WSAC) <RachelleS at wsac.wa.gov<mailto:RachelleS at wsac.wa.gov>>; Jan Yoshiwara <jyoshiwara at sbctc.edu<mailto:jyoshiwara at sbctc.edu>>
Cc: Mena, Sharlett (GOV) <sharlett.mena at gov.wa.gov<mailto:sharlett.mena at gov.wa.gov>>

FYI

Senators pledge Democrats will battle DeVos' Title IX proposal

11/28/2018 05:04 PM EDT

Sen. Patty Murray, the top Democrat on the Senate HELP committee, vowed Wednesday to fight Education Secretary Betsy DeVos' proposed overhaul of rules for schools handling sexual harassment and assault allegations "with everything we have."

Murray (D-Wash.) and Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), along with a slew of sexual assault survivors, trashed the Trump administration's proposal at a press conference, saying it will let schools sweep sexual assault allegations under the rug.

Murray said that "many of our Democratic colleagues stand with us today." They join House Democrats, including Nancy Pelosi, the likely House speaker, who have said they'll wield their newfound control of the House to stop the department's plans.

"This new rule will weaken protections for students and survivors and make it easier for schools and universities to shirk their responsibilities," Murray said.

"The best step that Secretary DeVos and the department can take would be to rescind these proposals," Hassan said. "Short of that, we want to make sure that all of those who are concerned about this issue speak up - engage in the comment process.

"The Education Department is required to consider all comments from the public before making a final decision," she said.

The proposal is set to publish in the Federal Register Thursday, kicking off a 60-day public comment period. The administration has touted its overhaul as a historic move that will for the first time create formal regulations - through a notice-and-comment process - for schools responding to sexual harassment claims.

DeVos said her focus is on "ensuring that every student can learn in a safe and nurturing environment." She's said the effort is aimed at boosting due process for accused students, though victims' advocates have said it will also raise barriers for students seeking justice.

Survivors who spoke at Wednesday's press conference - including two high school students - said the proposal creates "horrifying hypotheticals": That students who are assaulted off campus or report abuse to the wrong school officials will be ignored.

"This is absolutely unacceptable," said Chrissy Ball, who described herself as part of the "army of survivors" of abuse by Larry Nassar, the Michigan State doctor who was sentenced in three separate courts in sexual assault cases.

Ball and others at the press conference said the proposed rules would have let Michigan State off the hook for reports of abuse made to coaches and athletic trainers, rather than the dean of students.

"They need to look at us in the face and tell us our experiences of sexual assault ... that were reported to people on campus, such as trainers and coaches that did nothing - they need to tell us to our face that is OK to them," Ball said. "We will be heard. We're not going to stop."

Joined by Advocates and Survivors of Campus Sexual Assault, Senator Murray Urges Education Secretary DeVos to Withdraw Title IX Rule, Encourages Students and Survivors to Continue Making Their Voices Heard

Senator Murray, standing with advocates and sexual assault survivors, urged Secretary DeVos to withdraw her rule, listen to students and survivors, and aggressively implement student protections

Secretary DeVos' proposal would weaken protections for survivors and make it easier for schools to shirk their responsibility to keep students safe

Senator Murray: "I'm calling on anyone who cares about students' safety to join me in urging Secretary DeVos to withdraw this rule, start over, build on the progress we've made instead of moving us backward, and work with us and women and survivors across the country to draft a rule that truly addresses the scourge of sexual assault..."

ICYMI: Senator Murray Calls On Education Secretary DeVos to Stop Plan That Would Weaken Sexual Assault Protections, Start Listening to Students' Concerns - MORE HERE<https://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/newsreleases?ID=778BE0F8-AB3D-4674-BEFC-4E9E0B75FC9B>

***WATCH VIDEO OF FULL NEWS CONFERENCE HERE<https://youtu.be/n5JiFrx9QsA?t=1302>***

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4880D.CD692740]

Senator Patty Murray (center), flanked by Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH, far right) and advocates and sexual assault survivors, urges Secretary DeVos to reverse course on her proposed Title IX rule that would weaken protections for campus sexual assault survivors at a news conference at the U.S. Capitol on November 28th.

(Washington, D.C.)  - Today, U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), the top Democrat on the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, joined sexual assault survivors and advocates to call on Secretary DeVos to rescind her proposed Title IX regulation that would once again sweep sexual assault under the rug. Senator Murray, a longtime champion of efforts to strengthen protections for students and sexual assault survivors, has vocally opposed Secretary DeVos' efforts to weaken student protections against campus sexual assault and previously pressed the Secretary to postpone her draft regulation and instead take time to engage with students to hear their concerns about the proposal.

"Secretary DeVos' proposed Title IX rule makes it clear she did not listen to students and survivors who bravely asked her to listen to their stories, hold schools accountable, and give students the resources and support they need when they are attacked, assaulted, or harassed," said Senator Murray. "I'm calling on anyone who cares about students' safety to join me in urging Secretary DeVos to withdraw this rule, start over, build on the progress we've made instead of moving us backward, and work with us and women and survivors across the country to draft a rule that truly addresses the scourge of sexual assault in our classrooms, our campuses, and wherever our students live and learn."

Earlier this month, Secretary DeVos released a proposed Title IX regulation that would significantly weaken existing protections for students and make it easier for K-12 schools, colleges, and universities to shirk their responsibility to keep students safe. These new regulations come despite numerous calls from Senators and student advocates to work with students and survivors to address the serious concerns raised following reports of the disturbing direction Secretary DeVos was planning to move in-the vast majority of which were ignored in the proposal.

In addition to Senator Murray, Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH), and advocates and sexual assault survivors from End Rape on Campus and Know Your IX also joined the news conference. For video of the full news conference, including Senator Murray's remarks, visit HERE<https://youtu.be/n5JiFrx9QsA?t=1302> (Senator Murray's remarks begin at approximately mark 21:45).

###

--

Michael J. Brewer

Deputy Press Secretary