[Wsssc] FW: House Chair Budget

Jan Yoshiwara jyoshiwara at sbctc.edu
Tue Mar 28 14:55:57 PDT 2017

From: PRES [mailto:pres-bounces at lists.ctc.edu] On Behalf Of John Boesenberg
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2017 8:45 PM
To: pres at lists.ctc.edu
Cc: Cherie Berthon
Subject: [Pres] Fw: House Chair Budget

                   This message will be forwarded to college business officers.

The House Chair budget was released today.  Fortunately, it makes significant investments in the community and technical college system.

Based on the Appropriations Committee hearing this afternoon, we believe some technical issues with the numbers are still being sorted out - so we holding back on a spreadsheet comparison.  In the meantime, this email will provide a few highlights:

*       Tuition is frozen at current levels and the colleges are backfilled for the equivalent of 2.2% in FY18 and 2% in FY 19 ($21 million).

*    Civil service collective bargaining agreements and parity for non-represented employees (civil service and exempts) are fully funded. (Providing a 2% increase each FY year plus a 2% increase on 1/1/19).

*       I-732 salary increases (for faculty and tech. college classified employees) is funded at 2.3% and 2.7% and an additional amount (1%) is provided to bring I-732 employee increases up to levels in the civil service collective bargaining agreements.  Consistent with current Legislative policy, these increases are funded with 65% state funds and 35% local funds.

*       Guided Pathways is funded to increase the number of student advisors ($8.5 million).

*       Additional I-BEST slots are funded ($3 million).

*       MESA is doubled in size, increasing the number of colleges with MESA from 6 to 12 ($1.5M).

*       HB 1168 (Increasing full-time faculty) is funded to provide for the conversion of 34 part-time to full-time positions in FY19.

*       State Need Grant funding is increased by $73 million to serve 6,000 additional students each year (25% of the unserved population).

*       The House finances $3 billion of its new expenditures with increased revenue, HB 2186. This complex bill would change the excise tax system by narrowing or eliminating tax preferences, impose a business and occupation tax surcharge, cut tax liability for small businesses, enact an excise tax on capital gains, modify the real estate excise tax, and implement marketplace fairness in Washington (sales tax on internet purchase).

We'll follow up with additional information tomorrow. Please contact us if you have questions.

John Boesenberg, Deputy Executive Director

Business Operations