[Wsssc] MESA Funding Opportunity

Joe Holliday jholliday at sbctc.edu
Thu Jul 13 15:30:04 PDT 2017

Colleagues: as promised, this is more information about the MESA expansion funding opportunity. The Washington State Legislature funded an expansion of the MESA Community College Program (MCCP) by appropriating $750,000 to fund six additional MCCP programs, at $125,000 per college.

Your OGMS person (typically in your Business Office) will receive notification next Tuesday when the actual application is posted. You will get a "heads up" email from me on Monday with a reminder to check with your OGMS person on Tuesday. The application deadline is August 14th.

We currently have MCCPs at six colleges (Columbia Basin, Edmonds, Highline, Olympic, Seattle Central, and Yakima Valley). The remaining 28 colleges in our system will be invited to apply for the expansion funds through a competitive RFA process. As stated above, we will fund six colleges in the expansion.

MESA programs take a comprehensive, integrated approach to increasing the number of students pursuing and completing degrees in STEM majors throughout the State of Washington by coordinating articulation and matriculation between the Washington MESA Community College Program and Washington's universities.

In addition, MESA...

*         Strongly emphasizes the inclusion of under-represented students;

*         Increases the number of Washington CTCs active in the consortium; and

*         Increases student retention and transfer by utilizing the successful MESA Community College STEM transfer model.

The application will ask colleges to document how they will implement required program elements such as a full-time director, a dedicated MESA Student Center, dedicated advising, and academic excellence workshops. There are also optional program elements that will enhance college applications for funding, for example wrap-around student support services and professional development for MESA staff.

Watch for an email reminder Monday, and for official notification of the funding opportunity on Tuesday.

[Joe]
Joe Holliday
Director of Student Services

[SBCTC_Anniversary Logo_WhtGold_Round3OUT_v1_MC]

1300 Quince Street SE, PO Box 42495
Olympia, Washington  98504-2495