[Wsssc] Bias responses

Christina Castorena christina.castorena at email.edcc.edu
Sat Nov 12 13:50:14 PST 2016

Our college president sent an email to all employees and students
acknowledging that Tuesday"s elections may have generated anxiety,
excitement, fear or other emotions. And, that the results of the election
do not change or influence the College's mission and values and re-affirmed
our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. She also mentioned
sources available (counseling for students and EAP for employees) and
expectations of a healthy exchange of ideas and feelings.  This email was
also endorsed by our BOT.

Student Services is collaborating with Instruction in offering facilitated
dialog sessions starting this week.  We also plan to ask our campus
community what other types of support and/or resources would be helpful in
moving forward.

We have a highly functioning Behavior Intervention Team and are also
exploring the possibility of expanding to add a Bias Incident Team.  If any
of you have a successful model for a Bias Incident Team, I would be
interested in receiving more information.  This is timely given the letter
from the MSSDC and the increased bias incidents we may all experience in
the very near future.

Regards,
Christina

*Christina Castorena, M.Ed.*
*Vice President for Student Services*
20000 68th Ave. W., Lynnwood, WA  98036 | edcc.edu
christina.castorena at edcc.edu | 425.640.1668

Preferred Pronouns: She, Her