[Wctcca] Student Behavioral Concern // Consultant vs Therapy

Hoaglin, Sarah shoaglin at rtc.edu
Wed Apr 22 13:23:36 PDT 2020

Hi WCTCCA,

We, here at RTC, have a bunch of questions regarding student behavioral concerns.  It seems, and I am sure we are not alone in this, that Makinie and I are asked often to consult on students behavior and intervene if needed.  Here are some of the questions / topics:

  *   Can the college require a student to obtain services, through us, as a condition of attendance?
  *   How do we broach concerns about student to the faculty / college admin, if they aren’t life threatening (FERPA vs HIPPA)?
  *   If you are on a Behavioral Intervention Team, how do you excuse yourself if the concerning student is already a client?
  *   Without an ROI, from the student/client, we are unable to confirm that they have attended sessions or that we have followed up about the behavior concern?

We seem to be having more behavioral concerns, and we are sure that it has a lot to do with the stress of a Pandemic, instructors having to teach online who haven’t taught that way before, and students struggling with things that we can’t even imagine.

I am sure that this is partially due to us being so new on campus, since we began towards the end of January 😉  Thoughts would be helpful!

Sarah Hoaglin
Academic & Behavioral Health Counselor
425-235-2352 x5850

***Please Note***

Renton Technical College campus has moved to remote operations due to COVID-19 at least through May 4th. Students should avoid campus during this time. *Please see https://www.rtc.edu/coronavirus for the latest information.

*I will maintain my normal work hours of 7:00am-3:30pm Monday-Friday and will respond during this time frame.

*I am happy to assist you via email, phone appointment or virtual appointment via Doxy or Zoom.

OTHER IMPORTANT INFO:

First day of Spring Quarter: April 13th (online)

Tuition due date: 5 days after registering

If you’re using Financial Aid they are available via these contacts:
financialaid at rtc.edu<mailto:financialaid at rtc.edu>
Text: (425) 902-5266
Phone: (425) 235-5841
Fax: (425) 235-2434

STEPP (Tuition Installment Plan): Contact Cashiering if you would like to make payments on your classes.
cashiering at rtc.edu<mailto:cashiering at rtc.edu>
425 235-2352 x5910
Cashiering Phone Hours Mon – Fri 7:30 am – 4:30 pm.

Are you a NEW STUDENT?
NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION INFORMATION: https://www.rtc.edu/orientation

[cid:93E757C4-CE64-4982-AC7D-645545BC6ADA-L0-001]

You are not alone. We are all in this together.

Sarah Hoaglin, LMFT
Behavioral Health/Academic Counselor
Student Services

425-235-2352 ext. 5850
shoaglin at rtc.edu<mailto:shoaglin at rtc.edu> | rtc.edu/behavioral-health<https://www.rtc.edu/>
REFER A STUDENT FOR SERVICES HERE<https://rtc.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3jWrPnCnPUgPU1v>
Pronouns: she, her, hers

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5B978.C10545E0]<https://www.rtc.edu/>
3000 NE 4thSt., Renton WA 98056
Students Succeed at RTC.
[cid:image002.png at 01D5B978.C10545E0]<https://www.facebook.com/rentontechnicalcollege>[cid:image003.png at 01D5B978.C10545E0]<https://twitter.com/rentontech>[cid:image004.png at 01D5B978.C10545E0]<https://www.youtube.com/rentontechnicalcollege>[cid:image005.png at 01D5B978.C10545E0]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/renton-technical-college>[cid:image006.png at 01D5B978.C10545E0]<https://instagram.com/rentontechnicalcollege/>

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it.
For 24-hour assistance, you may call the King County Crisis Clinic at 206-461-3222<tel:%28206%29%20461-3222> or 866-4CRISIS (427-4747).  In an emergency, call Renton Police at (425) 430-7500 or 911.