[Wactclc-primo] Gale Literature: Litfinder question

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Tue May 17 16:18:40 PDT 2022

Hi folks,

We recently ran across a situation with Gale Literature: Litfinder (part of the statewide Gale package brokered by the State Library) and I'm trying to figure out if the problem is just us or if it's a global issue.

We've activated the CZ collection Gale Literature: Litfinder, which contains 12,000+ portfolio records for (supposedly) full-text works of literature.

When I retrieve a Litfinder title in Primo and try to click through, I get taken to the Gale Literature: Litfinder search page, not the full-text item.

[cid:image001.png at 01D86A05.5AA96020]

If I do a "Works Search" for the title, I get a brief record that either says "Citation Only" or "Abstract Only" or no results

[cid:image002.png at 01D86A06.87CDA920]

My suspicion, based on past experience with Gale, is that Gale isn't providing accurate metadata for this product to any third party platform, and they don't actually have the full-text literary works they say they have.

But there's also a chance that our accounts are messed up on the Gale side and we're not seeing the content we're supposed to.

If your library has the statewide Gale package, and you've activated the Gale Literature: Litfinder electronic collection in Alma-Primo, would you mind seeing what happens when you search Primo for any of the following titles?  Can you actually connect to full-text?

  *   The fields of praise : new and selected poems / Marilyn Nelson.
  *   $100 Prize Essay on the Cultivation of the Potato
  *   God of this World to His Prophet: Poems
  *   Traditional Chinese Poetry and Poetics: Omen of the World
  *   Lost Keys
  *   Night Landings
  *   American nightmare / Matthew Bulgo.
  *   Carol of the Brown King: Nativity Poems
  *   Radiance Like Wind Or Water
  *   Little Duke

Alternately, if you have the statewide Gale package, can you get into Gale Literature: Litfinder directly and find full-text content for any of these titles?

Here's the direct link for the product (according to the Gale support page for the WA package<https://support.gale.com/wsl/>)

https://link.gale.com/apps/LITF?u=[your Gale customer ID number]

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas