[Wactclc-primo] Primo VE problem with print and ebook versions of the same title

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Apr 7 13:10:10 PDT 2022

On Monday we ran across a Primo VE problem that Wade learned is affecting all Primo VE customers.  Discussion on the Primo-L list says Ex Libris is going to try to release a fix overnight tonight.

In situations where we have a print copy and ebook copy of the same title, Primo VE will either display *only* the link to the ebook or *only* the physical locations of the print book.

What you see depends on whether you've set Primo VE to display the print bib record or e-resource bib record in Alma config > Discovery > Display configuration > Configure Views > [View name] > Brief Results tab > Criteria for the DEDUP preferred record section

If you've selected Alma-P, you've told Primo to display the bib record for the print version. If you've selected Alma-E, you've told Primo to display the bib record for the ebook version. Alma-D tells Primo to display the bib record that's from an institutional repository like Omeka, CONTENTdm, or Alma Digital

(Note: This just controls behavior when there are multiple versions of a title. It won't prevent any titles from displaying if there's only 1 record for 1 version)

We have our system set to use print bib records because those usually have better subject headings, notes, etc., especially compared to CZ bib records.

In our situation, the full record display in Primo fails to show the link to the ebook in the View Online section. Instead, we see the message "No available services for this item" (see screenshot below)

Rutgers University reports that applying the "Available Online" filter forces the disappearing electronic inventory link to reappear.

Folks in the Primo-L thread "Problems on Primo where we have print and ebook versions of same title" who filed support cases report that Ex Libris says:

      you may want to temporarily disable Dedup in your view configuration (under Alma config > Discovery > Display configuration > Configure Views > [View name] > Brief Results > Dedup and FRBR > uncheck Enable Dedup) to provide correct delivery to your users.

I've checked with our library faculty and I'm going to disable Dedup today. I'll monitor the Primo-L list and turn Dedup back on once I hear that Ex Libris has fixed the problem.

You folks may want to do the same.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager