[Wactclc-primo] Chrome blocking Primo search tabs

Daniel Moore daniel.moore at email.edcc.edu
Sun May 31 14:53:10 PDT 2020

Hey all,

We've had a user report that, when starting a Primo search using the search
form on our library's website, that a new tab is appearing with
"about:blank" in the URL bar instead of search results. You can go back to
the first tab and then manually open the pop up. Our Primo form opens up a
new tab, but this new tab is being blocked by Chrome. Searching from the
main library website is working in Firefox and Safari.

I've been looking into recent Chrome updates and have only found mention of
security updates Google engineers have released for Chrome. According to
some tech writers, Chrome has had some vulnerable code based on
dependencies going back decades. Maybe this more aggressive pop up blocker
is manifesting as a response to those code edits.

Our search form is similar to many other CTC schools, so I believe this
issue is impacting others. I'll continue looking into this today, as I hope
there's a quick fix we can deploy. Because the Android browser is Chrome,
this problem is occurring on mobile Android devices, and we know that so
many students are accessing course content with their mobile devices
anyways... this could be impacting a large set of users.

--
Regards,

Dan Moore
Systems and Collections Librarian