[Wactclc-primo] Alma / Primo Call - June 18, 2019

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Thu Jun 20 10:15:26 PDT 2019

Thanks, Naoko.

Yes, there will be more results boosting knobs to play with soon, as you noted.

If you read that knowledge center article I linked about the general concepts behind the out-of-the-box boosting (https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Primo/Knowledge_Articles/Primo_Primo_Central_Searching_and_Search_Results_Evaluation), you can see that there is already a lot of stuff taken into account with boosting.

Search ranking in library discovery is really becoming a "big data" type problem, with all of the information out there that can potentially be matched and then ranked.

It's one of those areas that, the more you think about it, the more interesting, or frustrating, it gets. Depending on your perspective :)

I've been dealing with a retail version of the "big data" search and ranking problem lately. As I make the switch to online music services, finding music I want to listen to, or might be interested in listening to, becomes a much different problem than when I had cassette tapes in the glove box, or CDs on the shelf, or even large collections of locally ripped tracks on my computer.

The music libraries I have access to now, with Spotify and Amazon Music, are so much richer and potentially more rewarding and taste expanding than in the past. But the issues around finding the music are also greater. And as I go through the learning curve, I'm having to re-tool the way I think and search. But 5 years ago, I would never have learned about Library Tapes, or Alaskan Tapes, or Balmorhea, or Helios. Or a bunch of other stuff I listen to now.

Same with library searching. No way to turn back the clock, and searching (especially in the larger scopes) requires a new kind of mindset.

http://www.wactclc.org