[Wactclc-primo] [Wactclc-alma] [External] "Alexa, where is the movies section?"

Daniel Moore daniel.moore at email.edcc.edu
Tue Jul 2 09:44:05 PDT 2019

Full disclosure, I'm on the reference desk right now and don't have access
to the ELUNA repo, so I can't few the presentations. And I hate asking this
question because I fear the tone/connotation is negative, but, what is the
actual use case of this?

I remember years ago when the Apple Watch was debuting and folks on the
Twitterverse / San Francisco typed a lot about how it might "revolutionize"
the way people interact with digital services and resources in the same way
that the advent of the iPhone ushered in a consumer-friendly* mobile web.
But then... as near as I can tell, no one has bothered trying to adapt
their site/resource/whatever to that screen and interface. I feel similarly
when I think about incorporating voice into a discovery layer.

And not to be SUPER negative, but, ExL hasn't even nailed screen readers.
If there's a scenario wherein a person says "Hey Google, what time does the
EDCC library open today?", then Google would probably be better served by
scraping the data from Google Maps, which is itself scraped from our hours
widgets. There's already a level of authority there that will ensure that
the data is readable by the voice/AI system, since reading static hours
data on Google Maps is something that an AI can and should be able to do.
But Primo is a piece of ultra-niche software that - still - hasn't hit the
same web standards of accessibility and usability that we've come to expect
from anything on the internet.

What about known title searches? Asking "Hey Google, does the Lynnwood
public library have a copy of 1Q84?" could work, especially if the output
is toned to something straightforward. "I found a few records: the library
has two print copies of 1Q84 on the shelf, one copy checked out, and an
audiobook copy available via Overdrive" would be a solid response. But
could you imagine a research query using voice? It's like calling your
insurance company and being met with some phone-robot with a menu tree with
a bajillion branches. In those cases I just mash zero until I get a person.
</grouchy old man>

To conclude my early morning rant - talking to a computer with natural
language and getting natural, actionable language back has been and remains
a super rad thing ever since Star Trek, but I have to tell my Google Home a
few times to turn off the lights at night and I wouldn't want to tell
students they could trust asking an Alexa their Eng 101 research topic.

And semi-related, but Alexa skills are apparently a massive untapped
goldmine of secondary income
<https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/student-makes-10000-a-month-inventing-skills-for-amazon-alexa.html>
.

-Dan