[Wactclc-primo] FW: Ex Libris Signs Agreement to Acquire Innovative

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Thu Dec 5 14:53:46 PST 2019

Big vendor news... ExLibris is acquiring Innovative Interfaces, the vendor behind Millennium, Sierra, and more recently (through its own acquisition activity) Polaris.

(Funny, I asked Nate from ExL at the workshop on Tuesday whether he had any significant vendor news to share. He may have known about this, but I'm sure would have been under strict instructions not to pre-announce to anyone :))

The big for-profit LSP vendors left standing are, I believe:

ProQuest (several different platforms at this point)
OCLC (WMS)
SirsiDynix (Horizon, Symphony)
EBSCO (with its promotion of FOLIO)

As libraries, we probably need to come up with our own version of the FAANG (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google) acronym, to reflect the consolidation.

POSE?

ProQuest, OCLC and EBSCO all offer value-added metadata-at-scale within their respective products and services. SirsiDynix, which I don't believe does, could be another potential acquisitions target.

A lot of the public library systems in this state use Polaris, so we'll now be sharing a vendor, if not a platform, with those organizations. I just emailed a close friend of mine at the Kitsap system to tease him that I'd see him at the next vendor conference... )

There won't be any real impact for us or other Alma / Primo customers in this. But the Polaris customers are probably getting unsettled. In general, a lot of libraries were very happy with Polaris and its company of origin. Polaris won some significant public library business from Millennium in the NW. Then, Polaris got bought out by III, and now III by ExLibris.

Wade Guidry
WACTCLC
Library Consortium Services Manager
http://www.wactclc.org<http://www.wactclc.org/>