[Wactclc-alma] Google Scholar Goodies

Kitchens, Rhonda RhondaK at bigbend.edu
Thu Mar 5 19:06:26 PST 2020

I have come to some conclusion on my Google Scholar(GS) problems. Likely, just a more sophisticated set of problems I can savor at a later date. So, I offer Goodies.

When you change something about Google Scholar in ExLibris, even if your harvest date is Friday, it may not be until the next Friday until you see the changes manifest. It may even be the NEXT Friday after that.

I have a Voyager? Ghost GS account I need to shut down. But my ExLibris is going well.  I will assume here you know how to set up the filters to use Google Scholar specific to your Library's holdings as a user.  Having a ghost account complicates things.

Also, who wants to do those set ups or teach those setups all the time.

There's a way you can find your GS institution number and append to a URL.  THEN, you can add this function with no set up needed. Add Google Scholar URL to your A-Z list and other marketing items.  Essentially, you go to GS - set your college - and go to Inspector and grab the number.  Many of you may be making the OH! Face and be feeling a bit of joy. For more detail, see this:
https://intercom.help/lean-library/en/articles/2077193-google-scholar-id-where-can-i-find-it

Put the above HOW TO URL in your internal notes for Google scholar on the A-Z list as it does occasionally change. This will refresh your memory and you can have it back working.  See, your users will get addicted to it.

My BigBendCC Full Text REAL ExLibris URL looks like this:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?inst=520298757323431450

NOW, I am a bit feral with my code and knowledge, so I don't know how to CSS up this form like some of you, but replace my institution code with yours and you have yourself a pleasant basic search box. It makes a nice add to a tabbed search box.

<form id="scholarbounce" action="https://scholar.google.com/scholar" method="get" name="q">
<input name="q" size="18" type="text" />
<input type="hidden" name="inst" value="520298757323431450" />
<input type="submit" value="search" />
</form>

On campus it works for students. Off campus, it will require the traditional log in.

I am not a fan of how it goes back to PRIMO to have you select a database, but it works 85% of the time.  For other items, it illuminates some clean up and CZ work I need to so. Some of the fails will take you into a database where the ISSN and other details choke.  Just replace with title and often it will resolve. And remember, Google Scholar works best when you are signed in to your Library account on another tab.

Enjoy.

[cid:0cce5fa6-a49e-4a88-bc61-7cef182d9f7a]

Rhonda K. Kitchens
Librarian
RhondaK at bigbend.edu<rhondak at bigbend.edu>

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu/>

Big Bend Community College * 7662 Chanute Street NE * Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D5F321.2B131980]