[RO] Financial Independence

Alison Bazeley abazeley at uw.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:58:57 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Private loans – such as those from Discover Loans or from a bank:  We consider these as independent as long as (1) they are in the student’s name, (2) nobody else is putting up significant collateral for the loan and (3) nobody else is making payments on the loan.  To this end, we ask for some background information on the loan to determine the first pieces and recent loan statements for the last part.

(We did once encounter a student whose parent had given the bank a cash amount in collateral that was the same amount as the bank’s loan to the student.  That was a no-go.)

Co-signers are okay because the reality is that most students can’t get these loans without a co-signer.  If anyone has any different thoughts on that, I’d love to hear them.

Personal loans – such as from a relative or a business: Dependent.  To elaborate on the business part, we have seen students who have loans from a business that they have some sort of personal relationship with, such as their parent’s employer.  If these loans are dependent on their relationship with someone else, they would be dependent in our calculations.  If we can’t determine that there’s a relationship like that, we look to see if these loans are generally available to other students and would consider them to be dependent if they are not.  That’s a situation that we had just one time, so if it’s confusing, skip it for now and you’ll know it if you ever see it because it will just seem odd.

Best,

ALISON BAZELEY
Counseling Services Coordinator, Residence Classification & ELPR Office
Office of the University Registrar
Please visit our website for more information on submission procedures and office hours.
Residency: http://registrar.washington.edu/students/residency/
ELP: https://registrar.washington.edu/students/elpr/ or http://www.washington.edu/assessment/testing-center/tests/aep/

[cid:image001.png at 01D30633.62C2AAE0]
This email and any files transmitted may contain confidential information as protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 USC § 1232g and/or Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2510-2521. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution is prohibited. Furthermore, if you are not the intended recipient, please notify me immediately by return e-mail and completely delete this message from your system.