[LIBRARYDIR] [SPAM] Re: Librarian Certification

Jacquelyn Ray jacquelyn.ray at wwcc.edu
Wed May 15 10:45:06 PDT 2024

Hi Karen~

         Yes, similar to Amy, this the standard we use when posting job applications-an MLIS/MLS or equivalent Master's degree from an ALA accredited institution or international equivalent.

The state certificate (if I recall) just really just checks to see if someone has completed the above— as noted in Amy's more precise language.  🙂

Quick note:  You might want to check your faculty contract, requiring this field to have an additional certification beyond just a discipline specific graduate degree from an appropriate institution/credentialling agency (ALA) can be perceived as a unnecessary cost burden and therefore an equity issue.

If memory serves, this certification was required primarily for the State and Public libraries to ensure a level of professional education and level of service to all Washingtonians.  I.e. Librarians serve an essential social and public good, therefore every community deserves a professional level librarian.  😊

All my best,
Jacquelyn

​Jacquelyn Ray, MLIS, MA | Director of Library Services & FYE | she/her
Walla Walla Community College
Need help evenings or weekends? Try our 24/7 Ask-a-Librarian Chat Service!<https://askwa.libanswers.com/widget_chat.php?hash=d266f8c192e1c15230f3b8f764dcead2>

    Hope, as an ontological need, demands an anchoring in practice.
We need critical hope the way a fish needs unpolluted water.
(Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of Hope)