[LIBRARYDIR] Fieldtrips?

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Wed Jan 19 11:23:15 PST 2022

I recommend the library at Seattle Pacific University.  It doesn't have any bells and whistles or amazing architectural features, but it's honestly genius in it's simplicity.

The whole building is just 1 big rectangle, which makes it easy to put up walls and take down walls whenever you need them.  I only worked there for 3 years shortly after the building opened, and saw 2 different construction projects to adapt different areas to rapidly-changing student and campus needs.

The library was able to reconfigure and renovate fairly quickly and easily because of the simple design.

Librarian Carrie Fry has been there since 1996(?) and should have a good sense of how they've been able to adapt the library building over time.

Seattle U completed a major renovation in 2019. It might be good to check with them to hear what's working and what isn't.

I'll also throw out Saint Martin's University O'Grady Library in the Olympia area as a building to visit to look for things *not* to do.  I worked there for 14 years.

It's a beautiful building and the color scheme is wonderful (and really helpful in making it through PNW winters), but the physical layout makes it almost impossible to adapt or reconfigure any area of the building. There's also a visually-striking central atrium that wastes a lot of space and makes it impossible for desk staff to have clear sightlines to public seating areas.

Father Peter Tynan, one of the monks at St. Martin's Abbey, is also a degreed librarian. He joined the library shortly after the building opened (but works in student ministry now) and has *thoughts* about what does and doesn't work in the building.

It will be ok!

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Services Manager
Seattle Colleges