[LIBRARYDIR] Questions about technology for students

Fuhrman, Tim timf at bigbend.edu
Fri Dec 16 13:52:49 PST 2022

  1.  Do you still have open computer labs on campus? If so, are students using them?
We have 70 in the library commons. 6 or so folks use them each day so we’re looking at reallocating those funds to eventually replace the checkout laptops that are super popular that were bought with COVID $s.  We have two computer labs here in the library and they are booked pretty regularly by instructors for their classes.

  2.  Is your library still providing Chromebooks and/or laptops for checkout to students? If so, how are they purchased and maintained?
Yep, nearly 1,000 laptops.

Some depts are funding purchases for laptops for us to check out to their students, we are getting some grant supported $ toward laptop replacements, and looking at reallocating funds previous used to purchase PCs. Interestingly, we are checking out more laptops NOW than we did during COVID.  I’m guessing it is because the school districts all supplied they with Chromebooks when they were in school the last few years.

We do basic updating and imaging.  Repairs are done by our IT department but many are covered under warranties and we just send them to Dell.

  3.  Does your institution have a requirement that students provide their own computing device? If so, how is that funded (i.e. a student success fund, or attached to class materials so it can be covered with financial aid money)?
No.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D91155.2556FB10]

Tim Fuhrman
Director of Library Resources
& eLearning
Big Bend Community College
timf at bigbend.edu<mailto:timf at bigbend.edu>

www.bigbend.edu<http://www.bigbend.edu/>

Bonaudi Library (ATEC/1800 Building)•7662 Chanute Street NE•Moses Lake, WA 98837-3299