[LIBRARYDIR] Chegg and plagiarism

Heath Hayden heath.hayden at bellevuecollege.edu
Wed Jan 27 09:02:09 PST 2021

Yes, that is the crux of the issue. I will have to learn a little more, but my understanding is faculty can’t determine if a student is getting the answers from Chegg or if they are posting. One of the Physics faculty made an account and saw a lot of their department’s work posted. Several of the Physics faculty are upset about their work being posted and that students are cheating, but when something has finite answers it’s hard to claim plagiarism.

Sounds like emphasizing academic honesty policy and making it more clear in the syllabus might be a good route to take, as well as some plagiarism workshops with students. And using the BIT team could also work. I worry that faculty, who are already putting in a lot of time during pandemic times, will feel the need to put in additional time rooting out plagiarism in the Chegg platform, which may or may not have accurate data on users.

Thank you for this information!

Heath Ray Hayden, MLIS, MA
Pronouns: they/them/their
Interim Dean, Library & eLearning