[LIBRARYDIR] [EXTERNAL] Controversial Book Request-your thoughts?

Derylak, Deborah Deborah.Derylak at cptc.edu
Mon Aug 23 15:12:08 PDT 2021

Hi, Jackie –

Thanks for sharing this conundrum, for some collective reflection!  I appreciate Candice’s thoughts below (and everyone else’s, of course!)  If you wanted to consider adding this book to your collection, I wonder if you might find another book with a different student perspective on campus diversity to add at the same time?

That said, if I were in your shoes I would be inclined to help her make an ILL request for this book.  That way, I could be clear about the collection policy while still supporting her access to information.  (Perhaps easier at a technical college than at a community college, given our collection focus?)  :-)

It looks like Sno-Isle has a couple of print copies of this book.  (KCLS has the eBook).  It’s currently in their New collection, so who knows if they’ll lend it through ILL just yet.  But at least you can support this student by making the request.

Looking forward to further thoughts (and to hearing about the path you choose!)

peace,
Deb

Deb Derylak, MLIS (she/her/hers)
Learning Resource Center Coordinator

[Wide-Column Signature with Graphic]
Building 15 Room 113M • 4500 Steilacoom Blvd. SW • Lakewood WA 98499 • T: 253-589-<tel:253.000.0000>5730
deborah.derylak at cptc.edu<mailto:deborah.derylak at cptc.edu> • cptc.edu<https://www.cptc.edu/> • twitter.com/CloverParkTech<https://twitter.com/CloverParkTech> • facebook.com/CloverParkTech<https://www.facebook.com/CloverParkTech>
Excellence. Experience. Employment. Redefine education at Clover Park Technical College.