[LIBRARYDIR] Open textbook for Proftech

Boyoung Chae bchae at sbctc.edu
Wed Sep 16 08:26:13 PDT 2020

Hope you all stay safe and well!

So many of you forwarded me the new OpenEd grant announcement from DOE (thank you!!) yesterday and wondered about SBCTC's plan. I think it will be beneficial if I share what has been done and discussed. :-)

As reported during the ELC/LLC meeting, SBCTC has been preparing a proposal to submit for this grant for a while. We expected this grant to be released around this time as DOE opened the public comment period a couple months ago.

Among the many topics considered, it has been decided that the proposal will be about developing a set of open textbooks in professional technical programs such as welding, automotive, health care, early childhood education, etc.

We have had webinars and meetings with workforce deans/VPs and faculty members in the Prof Tech area to determine the small set of courses to join the first pilot, and as shared during the ELC/LLC meeting, even ran a survey to get some recommendations (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/wa-proftech).

Thanks to many ELC/LLC/Workforce deans who connected us to their faculty members (plus survey results), we were able to identify a few courses that could be good contenders, but we still need to identify more.

Please feel free to directly send me your questions or thoughts. I would most welcome any recommendations on potential courses or any opportunities to chat with your Prof Tech faculty members.

Thanks,
Boyoung

[sbctc logo]Boyoung Chae, Ph.D.
Policy Associate, Educational Technology & Open Education
Openwa.org<openwa.org> | OER & Low-Cost Label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>
bchae at sbctc.edu<mailto:bchae at sbctc.edu> |360-628-3549
Texts Welcome!