[LIBRARYDIR] Recommended Study Spaces for Students

Bem, Greg Greg.Bem at lwtech.edu
Fri Oct 2 14:19:36 PDT 2020

Greetings all,

We have had a number of concerned faculty reach out to us for recommended study spaces for students who otherwise have no formal study space. These are students who would use any available space on campus to get their work done, and no longer can because the campus is highly restricted (only open to students taking labs).

Have you or your college recommended any places to students formally? I am wondering if there are cafes, community centers, or other places that our students can go to get their work done.

I have heard of at least one student in a transitionary situation where they are not able to complete their work because they do not have a quiet space to do said work. I know of countless others who share spaces with family members.

The Internet issue is an ongoing issue, and I feel like having a space to complete academic work is also one that is of utmost concern. But our college has not provided a statement of recommendation to students who need these spaces. And I'm open to being the provider of recommendations, but I have no idea where to start looking.

As we move into colder weather, and as that colder weather converts to the rainy season, parks and picnic tables will no longer be an option. I am incredibly worried that we'll lose even more students who do not have space to do their work.

Greg

Greg Bem, MLIS
Faculty Library Coordinator
Library Learning Commons