[LIBRARYDIR] LibGuides for Library Website?

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Thu Apr 30 09:48:19 PDT 2020

The “static page on institutional site, linking to a libguides site” seems to be a pretty standard approach at lots of academic libraries, based on my experience both within the Alliance and now with the CTCs.

I know that Big Bend is another of the CTCs that has gone this direction, with a lot of recent work on their libguides site by Rhonda Kitchens… http://libguides.bigbend.edu/home

In fact, the library link in their campus site menus takes the user straight to the libguides site, with no intervening status page. And the transition is pretty seamless.

The one thing I’ll add, I find it’s a really nice touch when institutions make sure that navigation attempts commonly made to find the library online, like the following, resolve successfully to the library site, regardless of the platform:

http://library.yourinstitution.edu

and:

http://www.yourinstitution.edu/libary

without having to know a more specific URL like:

http://libguides.yourinstitution.edu  or similar.

IT departments are typically happy to set up redirections for those in the campus DNS service, upon request.

Wade Guidry
WACTCLC
Library Consortium Services Manager
http://www.wactclc.org<http://www.wactclc.org/>