[LIBRARYDIR] OpenAthens vs. EZproxy

Thomas, Kirsti Kirsti.Thomas at seattlecolleges.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:26:33 PDT 2019

Tammy,

There was discussion of this on the Alma-L list just last month.  Kelly Lutz at Nevada State College had a really good overview:

https://exlibrisusers.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/alma/2019-September/045276.html

In general, she says that they've had to keep EZProxy running in tandem with OpenAthens longer than expected (details in her post).  She also says:

The pros, as we have seen them thus far, are:
Authentication at publisher websites: Many (the larger ones) publishers allow users to login using OpenAthens via an institutional login at their site.  We could see from the OpenAthens dashboard that our users were finding and using this feature even before we officially switched over to OpenAthens in Alma/Primo.  This is a great feature, and our hope is that more publishers will build this feature into their sites in a way that is easy for users to find and use.

Seamless (almost) access:  We use our campus sso as the identity provider for OpenAthens, meaning that users now sign into library resources with the same login screen they use for other campus systems, which include Canvas (the college LMS).   The end result of using OpenAthens with campus sso is that users have almost seamless access across these systems -- one sign in for Primo user accounts, library e-resources, campus services, and the LMS.  I say almost because we are still working on some issues with access across systems.  For ex, a user can be signed into their account in Primo, open Primo a new tab, and not be signed in.  OpenAthens is supposed to enable sites in the same browser to recognize you as an authorized user, for up to 8 hours.  We've had a ticket into ExLibris about this for over a month.

The cons so far:
We are still working on finding the best solution for guest access for walk-in users.  Briefly - because we do not use IP authentication, and because OpenAthens uses our campus sso to authorize users, it is trickier.

Laszlo Gercsov at Macquarie University says:

If you have IP authenticated resources, you either need to keep your existing EZproxy server, or you can have a basic proxy service hosted by OpenAthens at additional cost.

https://exlibrisusers.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/alma/2019-September/045049.html

Kirsti S. Thomas
Library Technical Service Manager
Seattle Colleges