[LIBRARYDIR] On call or sub positions?

Tammy Siebenberg tsiebenberg at yvcc.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:47:15 PDT 2019

We also gave up on work study students several years ago.  The time it took to train and supervise them was not worth the work we got from them.

We have an adjunct librarian who is sometimes able to work extra hours.  For example our full-time morning/afternoon librarian is out of the country indefinitely for a family emergency, so the adjunct is working five hours a day instead of three.  Once we are staffed again, I juggle his hours so by year end he has worked the correct number of contact hours.

I've been relying on my classified circ staff to work alone a lot but make sure I am available to help with reference.  I also fill in when there are other holes.  Because of a current vacancy I've been covering my evening librarian's meal break, but she has been working through her late evening break and Sunday breaks and meal.  Not good.  I have her keep track of the extra time and we work it out later.

Tammy

Tammy R. Siebenberg, MLIS
Director - Library & Media Services
Yakima Valley College