[LIBRARYDIR] Join us for BC Illuminates: a festival of literature, creativity, technology & social change - March 8th & 9th - Free!

Vivienne Mcclendon vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu
Fri Mar 1 15:50:13 PST 2019

Library Deans,
If you are in the Bellevue/Seattle area on 3/8 or 3/9, you are invited to join us for the first annual BC Illuminates festival!
We have an exciting range of talks and interactive experiences for students, faculty and the general public to participate in over these two days and it’s all free!
Could you help us by posting on your Facebook. It is now posted on our BC Library FB and on the BC FB? We will be pushing marketing today and through the event. See more info and links below!

[image.png]

Here are a few links for your quick reference:

  *   You can find the event on Facebook here<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fevents%2F2394986720734805%2F&data=01%7C01%7Cvivienne.mcclendon%40bellevuecollege.edu%7Cf1f564e23abe4b11858508d69e87c3a4%7Cf94c251c1347422eb3ea8ac56befd6cb%7C1&sdata=Naqzb8pPcwdlZRvSkPwOgPeJY7GvIT%2BlEHWU8f9lcBU%3D&reserved=0>.
  *   You can find a list of presenters here<https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/illuminates/guest/>.
  *   You can find the full event schedule here<https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/illuminates/schedules/>.
Some of our highlighted speakers and performers include:

  *   Quintard Taylor: The author of The Forging of a Black Community: Seattle’s Central District from 1870 through the Civil Rights Era, and In Search of the Racial Frontier: African Americans in the America West, 1528-1990. As the festival’s keynote speaker he will be delivering a powerful speech based on his work with blackpast.org<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fblackpast.org&data=01%7C01%7Cvivienne.mcclendon%40bellevuecollege.edu%7Cf1f564e23abe4b11858508d69e87c3a4%7Cf94c251c1347422eb3ea8ac56befd6cb%7C1&sdata=U2RqZvk60uSzZ%2BhMlPUJbZLdrYrjFLGJpnp3ov1TIis%3D&reserved=0>.
  *   Ken Jennings: Ken Jennings is a comedian, an author, and the greatest Jeopardy player of all time. He will be kicking the festival’s evening program off with a hilarious and insightful talk about the value of knowledge in a post-Siri world.
  *   Kimya Dawson: A Grammy-winning, platinum-selling singer-songwriter most widely known for her work on the JUNO soundtrack and her former band, The Moldy Peaches. She will be performing a full concert as part of the festival’s evening event.
  *   Azura Tyabji: Recently nominated as one of the top 5 YPLs in the country, Azura is the National Youth Poet Laureate Ambassador of the West Region and will be competing for the title of National YPL in April 2019. She will be performing some of her pieces as part of the festival’s second evening event.
And we also have a range of other experiences planned for the festival, including:

  *   Torrey Pines by Clyde Petersen:  Torrey Pines is a stop-motion animated feature film by director Clyde Petersen. Based on a true story, the film is a queer punk coming-of-age tale, taking place in Southern California in the early 1990s. Raised by a schizophrenic single mother, Petersen's life story unfolds in a series of baffling and hallucinated events.  Clyde Petersen will be in attendance for the screening.
  *   Bushwick Book Club:  The Northwest Chapter of the Bushwick Book Club will be presenting a program surrounding music and literature. And more specifically we will work with local authors and musicians. We will perform and discuss music inspired by Laurie Frankel's book This is How it Always is. Laurie Frankel will also be on hand to discuss her book, the process she went through creating the novel, and what it feels like to have musicians create music inspired by her work.
  *   Seattle VR Community:  We will be hosting a range of VR for good creators in Bellevue College's brand new XR Lab throughout the Saturday of the festival.  There will be a range of interactive experiences on offer and presentations from the creators throughout the day.  Attendees will have the chance to experience brand new VR artworks that have been commissioned for the festival, learn about VR for social good outcomes (like raising climate change awareness, amplifying marginalised voices and using 360 video to promote social change).
There should be something here for everybody!  We're hoping that people will come down and spend a few hours at the library and catch a few talks if they can.  There will be plenty of activities to fill the gaps and there'll be food available on campus for people who want to make a day (or two days) out of the event and catch as much of it as they can.

Thanks in advance for anything you can do to help us spread the word, and we'll look forward to seeing you there!

Vivienne
--
Dr. Vivienne McClendon, Ph.D., MLIS (she/her)
Dean, Library & eLearning