[LIBRARYDIR] Employee spousal library privileges

Mindy Coslor Mindy.Coslor at skagit.edu
Mon Feb 25 08:53:22 PST 2019

Hi all,

Years ago, the library routinely granted library privileges to spouses of college employees.  I realized recently, when asked, that the library policy around spousal library privileges has gone away.  I have a college employee whose spouse would like to use the library.

Do you allow spouses to use the library with their own card without charge?  Do spouses use their spouses' college employee ID card for borrowing materials and accessing the databases WITH your knowledge?

My HR Department has raised the issue of "gifting of public funds."  We charge the general public $5/quarter for library privileges that do NOT include access off-site to databases.  Do you think making library privileges available to employee spouses would violate the prohibition against gifting of public funds, especially because of remote database access?

Thank you!
Mindy

Mindy Coslor, PhD
Director of Library Services