[LIBRARYDIR] library services for emeriti

Mindy Coslor Mindy.Coslor at skagit.edu
Mon Feb 25 08:45:38 PST 2019

Hi all,

The library at Skagit has had a long history of granting library privileges to college retirees when asked.  It creates a little heartburn for my HR department who wants the college to have a formal procedure for recognizing and granting emeriti privileges across the district.  For years, I have been asking my college to formalize a process.  In the meantime, we have allowed library privileges to continue when asked by retirees.  (Note:  there might be a difference in retirees vs emeriti.  The college would like a say whether privileges are granted to faculty only, full time vs part-time, years of service, etc.)

I am trying to move my college forward in making a policy and procedure, therefore:  What are you doing in your library for retirees/emeriti?  Do you have a formal college policy?  Who can get library privileges after they retire?  If you could share your policy and procedures, that would be great.

Thank you!

Mindy Coslor, PhD
Director of Library Services
Skagit Valley College