[LIBRARYDIR] FW: OER & Low-Cost Labelling + the third party bookstore products

Boyoung Chae bchae at sbctc.edu
Tue Dec 10 15:18:48 PST 2019

Hi Colleen,

Thank you so much for the insightful question & bringing this to my attention!

A short answer to your inquiry is that a course provided through the third party bookstore products, such as BNC OER+ (formerly known as Barnes & Noble Education LoudCloud Courseware), cannot be marked with the OER label per our state labeling policy. Such course may, however, be labeled as Low-Cost if the course fee for each student is $50 or less.

WA CTC's labeling policy guideline<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FDMutJccGdEZ1mtB-4eoAbvCmkS7t-tvqGoBrAIopO0/edit?usp=sharing> states that to be designated as an OER course, a course should use Open Educational Resources (OER) as the primary, required instructional materials for the course. In the policy, OER are defined as resources released either under an open license or in the public domain permitting their free use, repurposing and sharing (See the Definition and criteria & Qualified cases in page 2).

In other words, unless the content of BNC OER+ program is publicly available with a clear terms of use that allows free public access, it cannot be considered for OER labeling. I have updated the labeling guideline and FAQ<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uebgWfcUL7NOwywZktaju0-5JS7uzkfXu3BwV-0090s/edit?usp=sharing> to reflect this. Please do let me know anytime with any comments, especially for these new items that need further clarification.

Thanks again,
Boyoung

[sbctc logo]Boyoung Chae, Ph.D.
Policy Associate, Educational Technology & Open Education
Openwa.org<openwa.org> | OER & Low-Cost Label<https://www.sbctc.edu/colleges-staff/programs-services/educational-technology-open-education/oer-low-cost-label-implementation.aspx>
bchae at sbctc.edu<mailto:bchae at sbctc.edu> |360-628-3549
Texts Welcome!