[LIBRARYDIR] Full Answer From WSL: ProQuest vs. NewsBank Discussion : [LLC-CLOSED] WSL OFFERS NEWSBANK COLLECTION

Vivienne Mcclendon vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu
Wed Sep 26 17:25:11 PDT 2018

Will had created this answer with some of his colleagues and forgot to hit send.
So here are all the details.
Vivienne

From: "Stuivenga, Will" <will.stuivenga at sos.wa.gov>
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 5:22 PM
To: Vivienne Mcclendon <vivienne.mcclendon at bellevuecollege.edu>
Cc: "Aden, Cindy" <cindy.aden at sos.wa.gov>, "Martin, Jeff" <jeff.martin at sos.wa.gov>, Jane Blume <JBlume at btc.edu>, "Karen Fernandez (kfernandez at highline.edu)" <kfernandez at highline.edu>
Subject: RE: ProQuest vs. NewsBank Discussion : [LLC-CLOSED] WSL OFFERS NEWSBANK COLLECTION

Hello Vivienne,

Please bear with me, as this response is somewhat lengthy. Please feel free to forward this to the LLC list, or to distribute as you see fit.

It is not my understanding that it is the intent of the State Library to replace the ProQuest package with NewsBank. It was NewsBank that initially reached out to Cindy Aden, our State Librarian, to offer this opportunity to try out their newspaper content, and see how Washington libraries and their patrons and service populations would react to, and make use of this content. NewsBank made us an offer in terms of the cost for the initial paid trial year (and a few months), that was quite unprecedented in comparison to any previous proposals they had made in response to our past Statewide Database Licensing RFPs.

Further, we negotiated three-year step increased pricing for each library before the trial even began, because we thought that everyone should be able to see what it would cost them to continue. That pricing, which is available to each library upon request from NewsBank, bridges the gap between our very low “paid trial” price, and what NewsBank considers to be appropriate pricing for a statewide deal such as this. Moreover, that pricing is not participation-based. That is, NewsBank says that the pricing as set for each individual library will remain constant regardless of how many or few libraries actually sign up to continue subscriptions past the trial period. That in itself is a significant concession.

From the conversations I’ve had here, I think the intent is to see how useful this content is to Washington libraries, and how this paid trial goes, and how successful it is. There has been some casual discussion of whether or not this content could replace ProQuest, but certainly there has not been any decision in that direction, it being far too preliminary for that. I honestly don’t think that would be very likely to occur, unless a significant majority of participating libraries agreed that it was in the best interest of Washington libraries to make such a change. In our internal discussions, I have pointed that our current ProQuest package includes content aimed at ALL types of libraries, including public, academic, K-12, and even special libraries. And that access to newspapers is only one of the components in that package, which also includes aggregated periodicals and K-12 resources.

There has been some indication from public libraries that aggregated periodical databases are no longer an essential component of the resources they use in providing for the information needs of their communities, but that sense is not universal even among public libraries. Some public library staff tell me that they still consider a periodical database to be an important element in their information toolbox, while others say not so much. But among academic libraries, the contrary is true; everyone I’ve heard from still thinks the aggregated periodical database, and especially the scholarly and peer-reviewed journals that are included, is a necessary and important resource to offer and to use. The discussion that you’ve forwarded below certainly corroborates that view. And I know the K-12 library community also values the resources in the package that are focused on their needs and audiences.

All that said, should there be an overwhelming response from Washington libraries that this content from NewsBank is valuable and should be continued, we could explore ways to possibly subsidize this content, initially or on-going. We are attempting to find content relevant to everyone and to introduce new content choices from time to time. That has been one of the weaknesses of the SDL project in the past few years in my view, that it has been difficult to find, fund, or offer additional choices beyond those provided through the current ProQuest contract. So when an opportunity like this one presents itself, it only makes sense for us to take advantage of it.

The Statewide Database Licensing Project has an Advisory Committee<https://sos.wa.gov/q/SDLadvise> with members representing all of the participating types of libraries. The CTC representatives on that committee are Jane Blume, Bellingham Technical College and Karen Fernandez, Highline College, and I’ve copied them on this message. I would encourage anyone with views on the future (or present state) of the SDL Project to share them with members of the SDL Advisory Committee, which generally makes recommendations to the Project Manager (that’s me) and to the State Library and the Library Council of Washington<https://sos.wa.gov/q/Council> on matters of this sort. People should also feel free to reach out directly to me, or to others here at the State Library. We are eager to hear the views of everyone regarding this and our other endeavors, which are designed to help meet the needs of Washington libraries, and all those they serve.

Regards,

Will

WILL STUIVENGA, Cooperative Projects Manager, Library Development
Washington State Library | Office of the Secretary of State
6880 Capitol Blvd SE, Tumwater, Washington
w: 360-704-5217 | f: 360-586-7575 | e: will.stuivenga at sos.wa.gov<mailto:will.stuivenga at sos.wa.gov>

[wsl-logo]<https://www.sos.wa.gov/library>   [WTBBL] <http://www.wtbbl.org/>    [wsl colored social icons_Facebook - Round] <https://www.facebook.com/WashingtonStateLibrary/>    [wsl colored social icons_Twitter - Round] <https://twitter.com/WAStateLib>    [wsl colored social icons_YouTube - Round] <https://www.youtube.com/user/WAStateLibrary>
~~ Connecting Washington through the power of libraries ~~