[LIBRARYDIR] Debating the Physical Reference Collection

Jane Blume JBlume at btc.edu
Thu May 31 13:59:48 PDT 2018

Greg,

When setting up BTC's Library, we followed RTC's example of interfiling our Reference collection within the open stacks. We also interfile DVDs. Less and less of our collection is designated as Reference, usually only because of the price of the material. If it is something that many students need to use, we make it a 2 hour, in-library use only or overnight reserve, sometimes just for the quarter.

Also, at the discretion of the staff person, we allow most reference materials to be checked out overnight or for three days. We also provide up to 5 pages of free photocopying from reference books. Most students just take pictures of the pages they need, but our photocopier also scans and emails for free. Students were not using the reference materials because it cost them money to use. Expensive items, i.e. a $500 DVD, are always behind the desk in the reserve collection.

Accreditation did not seem to even notice that we had no reference collection. For individual program accreditation--Nursing, Culinary, Dental, Diesel, Vet Tech--they were only interested in the depth and currentness of the materials related to the individual programs. We have not gone through an accreditation for our new BAS programs. I will be interested in what the other colleges' experiences are. We dropped Credo because of low usage.

Jane

Jane Blume
Director
Library| Media Services