[LIBRARYDIR] Changes at Grays Harbor College

Stan Horton stan.horton at ghc.edu
Fri Mar 23 14:07:25 PDT 2018

Just to let you know, I have agreed to extend my time at GHC a bit longer, but no later than through the end of next year, June 2019.  The intent is to open the search for a new, permanent Associate Dean sometime in late Fall, to put the person in place before I leave so we can have overlap.  Depending on when this person actually starts work will define when I leave, but June 30 is the absolute deadline.   I am NOT escaping retirement, just deferring it for a while.

As a background, I can honestly say that GHC is an exciting place to work.  The senior administration is innovative-not just supporting innovation, but actively driving it.  Among the challenges that this position has been given are:

n  We are combining Library, e-Learning, and Learning Support Services (i.e., Learning Center, Math Center, Writing Center) under the Library roof, together with Trio.  So the challenge is to meld those currently disparate units into one functional, supportive, unit.

n  We've just enjoyed the Department of Education audit of our online courses.  We now have the challenge of complying with their recommendations, all the while staying true to good teaching practices.  Hiring a talented new E-Learning Coordinator is critical to this effort.

n  We've moved into the BAS world as well, with programs in Teaching, Forestry, and Management.  Building library resources to support those efforts, and ensuring Learning Outcomes that include Information Competency properly defined, will be loads of fun.

n  Alma.

n  Other duties as assigned.

My intent is to take the first steps to address these and others, then hang around long enough to provide some stability for their continuation.

Why am I rambling on so much?  Because I'm begging you to identify talent coming up through your own ranks, and alert those people to the opening that will be here before we know it.  I can't think of a better place to have challenges to meet, within an environment that makes them possible to be met, than here at GHC.  So spread the word!

Stan