[LIBRARYDIR] The next chapter...

Jane Blume JBlume at btc.edu
Tue Dec 4 09:29:22 PST 2018

I am retiring from Bellingham Technical College on December 31. I wish I had been able to attend the October LLC to be able to say good bye to everyone in person.

It has been an honor to work with all of you and in the community and technical college system for the last 34 years. When I started to teach at Whatcom Community College, I felt I had found my calling. I love working with our students. At Bellingham Technical College I was hired to create a new library. The college had just moved from the K-12 to the CTC system. It has been 48 years that I have worked in libraries; 43 years as a Librarian. I have found that even though I have worked in libraries for a long time, that it continues to be a challenging profession that constantly evolves and grows. It has gone from manual typewriters to computers to networks to the Internet to the cloud. One constant has been the wonderful people I have worked with wherever I have worked.

I will let the words of Walt Whitman in Song of the Open Road speak for me.

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.

Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing,
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, ...,
Strong and content I travel the open road...

Please keep in touch. I've included my contact info below if you are ever in Bellingham.

Jane

Jane Blume
Director|Library & Media Services
Bellingham Technical College