[LIBRARYDIR] Amplifying Student Voices

Guidry, Wade WadeG at bigbend.edu
Fri Aug 17 16:55:03 PDT 2018

Thanks for sharing this Mindy, I wasn't aware of it. Very interesting. And good on  Pierce for getting a place in the study.

Left me wondering how much the answers might have varied between Pierce (medium, and West coast) vs the other institutions, which are larger and in densely populated East coast cities. (For example, are students at Pierce more comfortable seeking help from libraries and librarians than the study seems to suggest more generally?)

Interesting that discovery doesn't seem to trouble students much (Google seems to be the tool of choice), and also there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with physical space.

A takeaway for me was that students seem to seek help and advice as much from sources they are most comfortable and familiar with (faculty, their mothers), as from the dedicated services at the library.

The stuff about the burdens of institutional bureaucracy from the students' perspective was interesting. Makes me wonder whether students might interpret the library as another part of the institutional bureaucracy they have to deal with, rather than a direct contributor to their success (like their professors or family members).

I look forward to the subsequent release of the other parts of the study.

http://www.wactclc.org