[LIBRARYDIR] unaffiliated patron access to technology

Tammy Siebenberg tsiebenberg at yvcc.edu
Thu Nov 2 12:49:04 PDT 2017

Chris, Yakima's answers are below.

Tammy

From: LIBRARYDIR [mailto:librarydir-bounces at lists.ctc.edu] On Behalf Of Matz, Chris
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2016 3:34 PM
To: librarydir at lists.ctc.edu
Subject: [LIBRARYDIR] unaffiliated patron access to technology

These are my problems and mine alone.  My questions, however, are for the group:

  1.  How does your library manage computer use by unaffiliated patrons?  We have one computer available for the public.  It is at a stand-up desk, which discourages camping out.  This computer does allow access to subscription products.  To print anything, the user needs to bring the document to the desk on a USB drive and we will print it and collect payment ($.15/page b&w, $1.00/page color).  The rest of our computers require login using student ID numbers (or employee ID).  Because Tech Services does not disable student IDs for several quarters after attendance, those former students can still log in and use the student computers as though they were currently enrolled.

  2.  Roughly what percentage of computers on-site are open for unaffiliated use?  Not counting use by former students with still-active ID numbers, .01% (1 out of 82).

  3.  Do you offer guest access to wi-fi?  Yes, with no login requirements.  Students and employees have separate wi-fi networks that require login and password.  Subscription resources via wi-fi also require login and password.

  4.  Understanding that Shoreline has purchased some resources via consortium conditions and has some duty to provide unaffiliated access to keep the discount, does guest wi-fi count toward that standard?  I don't know.  I think it would depend on the terms of the contracts and what is defined as unaffiliated access.
Thanks for your consideration.

It's not all gloom and doom, for the record.  Fewer unaffiliated patrons in the building means I haven't had to break up a fight between their dogs in almost six months.

Chris Matz
Library Director
Shoreline Community College
206.546.4558