[LIBRARYDIR] Follow up on interviews of CTC librarians

Mindy Coslor Mindy.Coslor at skagit.edu
Tue May 30 11:32:47 PDT 2017

Hi all,

Many of you sent me names of your librarians who work closely with basic education instructors and students.  This is for a presentation at WLA in November.  Now that the presentation proposal has been accepted, I am going to interview librarians before the end of spring quarter.  Just so you know, I am sharing the list of librarians you nominated and the list of questions.  If you have further suggestions, please feel free to contact me off list.  I would love to hear of additional librarians to contact as well as suggested modifications to the questions.

I will contact the librarians by the end of the week to set up telephone interviews. I'll send the list of questions in advance so librarians have a chance to think about their responses.

List of Librarians:

1.    Rachel Goon (Pierce)

2.    Debbie Crumb (Renton)

3.    Zola Mumford (North Seattle)

4.    Rowena McKernan (Whatcom)

5.    Elizabeth Iaukea (WSL)

Questions

1. The purpose of these questions is to help inform a presentation for the WLA Conference in the fall.  Are you ok with my using your answers for this purpose?

2.  What is your name?  Would you like this information kept private?

3.   In what library do you work?  Would you like this information kept private?

4.  Our colleges provide programs that support adults needing basic education.  Do you work with any of the these programs?

    4.a.  Adult Basic Education (ABE)--Reading, Writing, math Foundations and Employability Skills

    4.b.  English as a Second Language (ESL)

    4.c.  English Literacy and Civics Education (EL/C)

    4.d.  High School Equivalency (HSE)

    4.e.  I-BEST programs  (Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training)

    4.f.  I-DEA grant program (Integrated Digital English Acceleration)

    4.e.  High School 21-Plus (HS21+)

    4.g.  GED (General Educational Development) Testing

    4.h.  INVEST (Individualized Next-step Vocational Education and Social-skills Training)

    4.i.  Corrections

5.  What library services do you provide to this population?

6.  How do you work with the program faculty and staff?

7.  What library services do you see the program needing?

8.  What library services do you see this population needing?

9.  What library services would you like to provide?

10.  What challenges do you see in providing library services to this population (i.e. funding, personnel, structures)?

11.  What library services would translate well to other public/academic/school libraries?

12.  Do you have any advice for other librarians who are interested in expanding their services to this population?

Thank you!
Mindy Coslor

Dr. Mindy Coslor, Ph.D.
Director of Library Services